This session will discuss planning, budgeting, and policy considerations for both long-term capital planning and debt management. A panel of speakers will provide input that will be helpful to both financial and managerial personnel. The speakers will discuss who and what to include in capital planning, how your income source impacts your capital and debt decisions, and the roles of the key players in debt issuance and management.
Registration and Breakfast (Breakfast Included) - 8:30 - 9:00 AM
Welcome and Introduction - 9:00 - 9:05 AM
Seminar - It's All About The Balance Sheet - 9:05 - 10:45 AM
GFOA-PA Central Region Board meeting (Board Members and any interested public) - 11:00 AM- 12:00 PM
- Daniel ConnellyDirector/Econsult Solutions, Inc.Dan Connelly has fifteen years of consulting experience at the federal, state, and local government levels. Mr. Connelly led engagements such as five-year financial planning and budgeting, financial feasibility studies, municipal management audits, operational reviews, and strategic planning, among others. Mr. Connelly currently works on the Financial Recovery Coordinator Teams for the City of Chester and Borough of Colwyn. In this role, he is responsible for developing, monitoring, and implementing a multi-year financial plan with the goal of eliminating projected budget deficits and setting the municipalities on the course to structural budgetary balance. Prior to joining ESI, Mr. Connelly worked for over 12 years at Fairmount Capital Advisors, an independent registered municipal advisor registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board. Before joining Fairmount, he worked for almost four years as a project manager for the management consulting firm American Management Systems (now CACI). At AMS, he was responsible for managing strategic planning and certification programs for organizations within the U.S. Navy. Mr. Connelly has a Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance) from the University of Notre Dame, and a Master of Public Administration with a certificate in public finance from the University of Pennsylvania’s Fels Institute of Government.
- Christoper GibbonsPrincipal/Concord Public Financial Advisors, Inc.Chris is a founder and principal of the firm and has over 33 years of experience as a financial advisor and municipal manager. Chris’s experience is in the general municipal area where he has been involved in all phases of financing, both general obligation and revenue debt. This experience includes structuring financings for both large and small issuers, using competitive and negotiated methods of sale, the completion of bank loan and bond issues, credit analysis and rating agency presentations. Chris has experience in all types of municipal transactions, including fixed rate and variable rate financings, refinancings, and general consulting. Chris is a graduate of the American University (B.A. Political Science; M.P.A. Urban Administration) and was awarded a full graduate scholarship.
- Douglas KeithChief Financial Officer/Capital Region WaterDouglas Keith is the Chief Financial Officer at Capital Region Water (CRW) in Harrisburg, PA., where his responsibilities include the development and implementation of annual budgets, fiscal policies and goals of the Authority. Doug manages the annual rate-setting process and works with the CRW leadership team in defining the long-term capital program and appropriate funding strategies, balancing aging infrastructure needs with affordability concerns of rate payers. Prior to his current role at Capital Region Water, Doug spent 16 years at the Williamsport Municipal Water and Sanitary Authorities, serving first as Director of Finance before accepting the role of Executive Director. During his tenure as Finance Director, Doug created the financing strategy of the Sanitary Authority’s $124 million Chesapeake Bay and Wet Weather Improvement Program, then as Executive Director oversaw its completion.
- Natalie LawrenceVice President/Corporate Trust Officer/Zions Bank Corporate TrustNatalie Lawrence is a Vice President and Corporate Trust Officer at Zions Bank Corporate Trust and is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. At Zions Bank, Natalie serves as Trustee, Paying Agent, and Escrow Agent to Government Entities and Authorities in relation to their outstanding Bond deals. Prior to Zions Bank, Ms. Lawrence served as Vice President of Corporate Debt and managed a portfolio for several key clients, including those of Fortune 500 Companies in New York and the greater Pittsburgh area. In addition, Natalie is also involved with the Mentoring Program of Women In Public Finance, as well as a member of PMAA WIN and Ladies' First.
- David UnkovicOf Counsel/McNees Wallace & Nurick LLCDavid Unkovic has been a municipal bond lawyer in Pennsylvania for 40 years. He has served as bond counsel on debt offerings by all sizes of governmental entities, including the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, state agencies, counties, townships, boroughs, cities, school districts and authorities. He also focuses his practice on the legal aspects of developing and implementing recovery plans for distressed municipalities. For most of his career he has worked at private law firms, but he has also served as chief compliance officer at PFM Asset Management, and, in the Corbett Administration, as chief counsel of the PA Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) and as the first state-appointed receiver for the City of Harrisburg. David joined McNees Wallace & Nurick in 2013 and practices in the Lancaster office. He was born in Pittsburgh and resides in Montgomery County. David received his B.A. in political science, summa cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania, and his J.D. from Harvard Law School. He is a former president of the Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers and is a fellow of the American College of Bond Counsel.
- Melissa UrishkoAssistant Regional Manager/Vice President/Zions Bank Corporate TrustMelissa Urishko is Assistant Regional Manager and Vice President of the Zions Bank Corporate Trust office located in Pittsburgh, PA, where she provides trust services to municipal issuers throughout Pennsylvania and the Northeast region. Melissa has over 15 years of experience in working with municipal bonds, of which a decade has been in Corporate Trust. Melissa previously worked at Allegheny County Economic Development where she oversaw the administration of the Single and Multi-Family Mortgage Revenue Bonds Programs. Melissa also has prior experience working as a FINRA licensed public finance investment banker and municipal bond underwriter and holds her Series 7 and 63 licenses. Melissa is currently a Board Member for Ladies First Public Finance in Pennsylvania and is an active member of PMAA, WIN, and Women in Public Finance.
Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors
4855 Woodland Drive
Enola, PA 17025(717) 763-0930